Headaches have been something we have all experienced at some point in our lives.
Stress is often a major contributor to people experiencing headaches, both migraine and tension headaches.
There are usually two types of stress – physical stress to our body and psychological stress (work, relationships, finances, strong emotions, etc.)
In order to reduce the pain and frequency of headaches, it’s important to reduce the stress that a person is experiencing.
Reiki is a natural, non-invasive technique and a powerful tool to support our overall wellness. Reiki helps our body to deeply relax and puts it in the “Rest, Restore and Digest” or Parasympathetic Nervous System Mode.
A typical adult Reiki session is for 60 minutes. The person remains fully clothed. They may lay on a massage table on their back, front or side or even sit in a chair if necessary.
As the Reiki energy flows into a person during a Reiki session:
- Our body deeply relaxes so its natural healing process can kick in and it can start to reduce the pain
- The tension and stress stored in our muscles is released
- Our body starts to produce the hormone Oxytocin. It helps to reduce the stress and gives us a sense of well-being and feeling at peace
- The levels of the stress hormone Cortisol is reduced
- Our mind relaxes and becomes calm, releasing our stressful thought patterns
More than one session is usually required. Depending on the severity and frequency of headaches, multiple Reiki sessions may be required to bring your body to a more continual state of relaxation. I have found that usually around 5 sessions are effective to reduce the stress.
Just like exercise or diet, repeated Reiki sessions have a cumulative effect. Regular sessions help you to support your well-being physically, mentally, and emotionally. I recommend an ongoing maintenance program of 1 session per month.
The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM) states that Reiki is a “complementary and alternative medicine”. It is in no way a replacement for professional medical care.